Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I'm bored

I have reverted to blogging when I'm bored apparently. So I'm finally a librarian, and you know what it's absolutely nothing different than before at work, just a new title, and a bunch of useless old business cards that need to be replaced. I would feel a little better about my "promotion" if I wasn't already doing everything before, I mean I was basically a librarian for less pay and no benefits. My favorite part is after working here for six years, I still get put on probation for 6 months for the union, and 12 months for the City. Right, thanks I'm totally going to disappear and become a horrible employee now that I'm full time.

So the whole crap of me getting rid of my blog was premature, I get bored and will do this but not as much as before. In all honesty I don't care if people stop coming to this blog, for the few of you that do I get to make you laugh or cringe in horror for some of the stuff I have posted or will post. That's right, cring in horror, I should start adding some of those videos to this blog that I talk about, so in other words Mike will never want to click on a video again when I start.

And finally and update about school, so I'm officially a slacker, big surprise right? I don't even know where my class meets anymore, and have no idea when homework is due. It only takes at most 45 minutes to finish an assignment, and is completely pointless busy work. I don't know if any of the teachers try to make class challenging anymore, or they just have such low confidence in their students that they make it easy. This could also be a ploy by the school to make students grades look better, but enough with the conspiracy theory crap. If any of you want a career change and need to find something easy to do, become a librarian. You too can learn the power of finding stuff online, and write papers abotu the future of the profession, make sure to include the internet changed everything and we need to adapt blah, blah, blah... I have written basically the same thing in three classes now, and because the lack of communication between teachers exists no one can tell I resubmit the same thing. I even told a teacher I wrote this for another class and am just copying it for you. Oh well I hope beyond hope that I might do something fun in this program, at least once before I graduate, but I'm not holding my breath

2 comments:

Eric said...

No offense to your profession Konrad, but I have NEVER understood why your job even requires a master's degree. From the way you describe it, I don't see anything here that you couldn't have learned in your first 4 years in college.

kmaz said...

No offense taken, but it's a way of getting a standardized group of people with the same amount of "talent." I haven't learned anything that I didn't already know, but there are some specialized librarians that need the education to learn the speciality. The main problem is everything that I have been learning I've been doing the past six years. Can't wait to learn web design, again.

Best part was the advisor had no idea what classes I should take, I've had the programming classes so he said those are going to be easy; he wanted me to take some management to be better rounded out, but I told him I graduated with a business degree, then he gave me the "Oh Shit, now what" look. So we came up with a plan of work, that doesn't meet the current requirements, and he hopes it passes whoever its supposed to be approved by. But for the most part it's being able to find information that you know is reliable, and budgeting and system/web design for me. But there is an ever increasing need for librarians, go figure.

The CIA, and other government agencies, and a lot of web site designers are looking for librarians for our data maintenance skills, so getting the degree doesn't necessarily have anything to do with books, but different forms and mediums of data.