Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Detroit 187

As I sit here staring at my laptop screen hoping that something good will magically be written about the show, I'm left pondering just where the bullet train will take me in Detroit.  The main problem with that is that I know what the bullet train is, and the loop it takes me in. (Chime cheesy music in the background to give that Detroit 187 feel)

     I watched the show with low expectations, and yet I was somehow disappointed, it might just be after watching the Wire that no cop show can compare, but this just seemed worse than most.  The actors did not look authentic. The Detroit area is one of the most racially diverse cities in the country, yet the cops just don't look like they belong here. Unfortunately, only the criminals passed the authentic-Detroiter litmus test. (I will admit I did laugh when I saw the criminal trying to run away with the metal slide, that I can somehow see happening in this fine city).  But seriously if the producers tried to give this show an authentic feeling don't call it soda and never put ketchup on a coney dog.

     The acting was bad.. the story line was uninviting. Am I really interested in seeing what happens to the characters next? Not really.  This show unless it takes drastic changes will last a season at most, and if it stays the same maybe six episodes.  All that said, I'm still going to watch it to support Detroit. (even though it really doesn't have much to do with supporting Detroit.)

No comments: