Monday, October 13, 2008

I think I might be in trouble

"The more alcohol an individual drinks, the smaller his or her total brain volume, according to a report in the October issue of Archives of Neurology, one of the JAMA/Archives journals."

So your brain volume decreases with age, and they are now telling me the more I drink the faster it happens. So when a few months ago I stopped drinking, I was trying to save brain volume, and everyone wanted me to drink more. The only saving grace for me is:

"Most participants reported low alcohol consumption, and men were more likely than women to be moderate or heavy drinkers," the authors write. "There was a significant negative linear relationship between alcohol consumption and total cerebral brain volume."

Although men were more likely to drink alcohol, the association between drinking and brain volume was stronger in women, they note. This could be due to biological factors, including women's smaller size and greater susceptibility to alcohol's effects." (Read more here)

Screw it life is short, I don't drink to get drunk, I drink because I like it, and if in 50 years it makes me an idiot well then in 50 years I'll be the loud obnoxious grandpa no one wants to talk about.

No comments: