Friday, June 27, 2008

Wow, it's like someone has already lived my life

SO I ordered a book for the library called Quiet Please by Scott Douglas, and dammit it's like reading what I'm doing and most likely going to do. So he starts to work at a library out of convenience, and was good with computers and goes on to library school. He's not sure if he wants to go or not, or if he's only doing it because it's free for him, but ends up liking the job. He meets many interesting and/or crazy people at the library.

He reveals in the first page of the book what many librarians sadly believe about library pages, the bottom of the rung on the employee ladder, that is you are stupid until proven otherwise. Why in the world is it when I talk to someone in High School or College, that I talk to them as if they were in Kindergarten, and then go check to make sure they did everything like they were supposed to, I could have done it in half the time and never check, but that would put me back to the bottom rung, so I think they are there to make everyone else feel better and to make sure that no one else has to do menial work. Back to the book its a great book and fun to read, at least for me, check it out on Amazon here, or check, out the author's page here.

Speaking of interesting people, a man I presumed to be dead has reappeared at the library, he is a fun man to talk to not because he is mostly deaf and screams at you, but because he is apparently the smartest man in the world who can make anything, and invented everything. Too bad those bastards keep stealing his ideas and he gets no credit. From a few conversations I learned he invented the satellite, space shuttle, microwave, computer, transistor, microchip, possibly a water powered engine. To let you know how to find this out a conversation usually goes like this:
Man: "Can I make copies here?"
Me: "Yes the copier is over there"
Man: "Oh, Good, did you know that I invented the copier years ago, and that they stole the idea from me?"
Me: "who are they?"
Man: "you know"
Me: [sarcasm]"Yes"[/sarcasm]

The conversation goes on like this forever, the only problem is I want to give this man a tic-tac but have none, and by the time he's done talking to me just about everyone at the library is looking at me, to see what the hell is going on.

2 comments:

Eric said...

Did you know that I invented the question mark? Its true.

kmaz said...

But did "they" steal the idea from you? They are tricky bastards, and sneaky, they are always watching and stealing the greatest ideas.